Excel Text Adventure Builder is an interactive fiction/Text adventure game system that allows interactive fiction games to be written and played using Microsoft Excel. Game data is entered in a series of sheets. VBA macros built into the spreadsheet use the data to run the game in an excel form. Games can be created with no programming knowledge.
It is free to use and modify. It is available under the GNU General Public License. See the license for details.
Find out more
- History and why
- How it works (coming)
- Uncle Albert’s Attic walk through (coming)
- The parser
- Setting up locations and navigation
- Setting up features and objects
- Adding in game characters and setting up conversations
- Puzzles and events
- Checking the integrity of the game data (coming)
- Saving and restoring game play
- Accessing the VBA code (coming)
The spreadsheet with the built-in macros is available from my Github repository.